查看: 3585|回复: 5
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[业界动态] Partial Transcripts for Bethesda v. Interplay

关闭 [复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2010-1-21 05:25:43 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
备注:[table=810px][tr][td]
    [li]以下为Bethesda v. Interplay一案的部分庭审记录,据悉完整的庭审记录共218页。[/li][li]DAC正试图从马里兰地方法院取得完整记录。
    [/li][li]文中Gersh为Interplay的律师,Marbury为Bethesda的律师。[/li]
[/td][/tr][/table]
如果你觉得本文太繁琐,请看DAC总结帝理出的重点:
    [li]讨论PV13会“伤害”Bethesda。[/li][li]Bethesda并不在制作辐射网络版,他们在“干别的事”[/li][li]Bethesda的律师并不真正了解“预先禁令”的概念。[/li][li]Interplay的律师认为他们从未违约。[/li][li]Interplay认为Bethesda有意的模糊了“担保资金”的意思,而Bethesda的COO Mr. Leder说不清“担保资金”是什么意思。[/li][li]Bethesda称有顾客错误地向他们投诉本应由Interplay出售的辐射三部曲。[/li][li]Interplay表示不相信。[/li][li]Bethesda称Interplay在合同谈判时由律师代表。[/li][li]Interplay则称其谈判时仅由Herve Caen代表。
    [/li][li]Interplay认为Bethesda有意的模糊了“开始全面开发”的意思[/li][li]V13计划至少还要2-3年时间才会完成。[/li][li]Interplay即使输了官司仍然会继续开发PV13,但他们会更换背景和角色,这样主题就和辐射无关了。[/li]
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2010-1-21 05:27:16 | 只看该作者
Part 1

[blockquote]MR. MARBURY: So, the other condition is fullscale development and it is also clear that they have not engaged infull scale Development of this MMO. The witness we believe will testifyconsistently with his deposition, that they have approximately 20people working, or at least he thought there were 20 people working inBulgaria on this project when he visited back in March of 2009. We willput on testimony that that is far, far less than what you need to makeone of these in full scale development. Based on our own experience inthe MMO field, you need more than a hundred people working on this tobe in full scale development. And, in fact, to confirm that testimonywe will share with the Court Interplay's own budget documents that showthat their initial budget on this required them to use well north of 50people, and that was a scaled down version.

So, I think it's pretty clear that there's been no fullscale development at any time by this company, or by Masthead. Thiscompany has seven employees right now. They can't do it, and it appearsthat the Bulgarian company, who is already busy with another game,isn't doing it.

So, with those two conditions not met, those rightsautomatically are exterminated, or terminated, and that's what theparties agreed to. So that's the trademark license agreement issue onthe MMO.

THE COURT: But in terms of preliminaryinjunctive relief on that, if they're not doing it and they don't havethe financing, what is it that you need in terms of preliminaryinjunctive relief?

MR. MARBURY: Well, Your Honor, they claim that they're doing it. They've testified --

THE COURT: They haven't put it up on theweb though. I mean, this is where the two sort of blur. They took itdown. They're not advertising to anybody that they're developing it.What is it you need them to stop immediately, as opposed to once youprevail?

MR. MARBURY: Well, Your Honor, they aredeveloping it and they intend to develop and they intend to exploit it,and they would like to advertise it, and there's nothing in place rightnow to prevent them. There is no order from the Court to prevent themfrom advertising that they're doing aFallout brand.

And so you understand the marketplace, a lot of thisindustry is driven by the blogs. There are an enormous number of blogsout there where people post either wild speculation or a company's planor their discussions about Fallout and other games. In fact, there arespecific websites specifically for Fallout. So there is an enormousamount of discussion out there about how the company is develop aFallout, how Interplay is developing a Fallout MMO. So, it is --they're out there. The marketplace is aware of it. They're developingit and they tend to explicit. That's damaging to my client.

More to the point, Your Honor, when the parties entered intothe trademark license agreed specifically, they negotiated and agreedthat at the two year marker there would be some sort of determinationmade about whether they had the rights to go forward and continue to dothis development or not. That two year time limit has expired.

The parties also agreed that because of the unique andspecial character of the IP that we own, that we be, shall be entitledto injunctive and equitable relief. So the parties already negotiatedfor some sort resolution in year two, and we are obviously seven monthspast year two. But to the extent that they continue to do this, thatimpacts our brand and it impacts, you know, the marketplace.

They've already expressed that they are continuing today towork on this project. And so what we're going to end up doing isfighting about this two years down the road, or three years down theroad, if they actually do launch. So that's the immediacy of the issuefor us, that we've negotiated for a to year cap and they failed tocomply and it's time for us to be able to clear the air in themarketplace so they know, so the market place is clear that Interplaydoesn't have the rights to the Fallout MMO.

Also, Your Honor, try to make another point, one of the keysto success in the software industry is clarity, clarity of rights,rights and title. These games, as I have described, take many years todevelop. And to the extent that we are, we're not in the process ofdeveloping our own Fallout MMO right now. We're doing something else.But to the extent that the rights have been terminated, we would havean interest in developing it at some point and in order to do that weneed clarity about what the rights are and what they're not.

We're not developing it now because we don't have a rulingfrom a court that we have the rights to do it. But we need that clarityfor our own business purposes as well. So what we're seeking is what webargained for, which is at April, 2009, you have either, the company iseither, you know, going at this in a appropriate matter, fully fundedand going full scale with it with a lunch or not, because, Your Honor,again, if they launch, there's a royalty stream there for us, right. Ifthey don't launch, we've got an asset that's not depreciating but it'snot being used. So either they use it and we get a royalty stream, orwe get it back and we find another way to use it. But to the extentthat this drags on that royalty stream's not being exploited either byus directly or by Interplay --

THE COURT: How does a PreliminaryInjunction help, because it's only preliminary? It could be differentat the end. I mean, it doesn't help clarify the situation. APreliminary Injunction is designed to sort of freeze the status quo sothat we can have a breathing space to get something decided. That's notgoing to clarifying anything. And if they're not actually going tolaunch, they're doing it at their own risk to develop it, if theycontinue to do that, because ultimately a court may decide that theydidn't have the right to do it because of their default by last April.

MR. MARBURY: Well, Your Honor --

THE COURT: A Preliminary Injunction does not get you any clarity.

MR. MARBURY: Well, Your Honor, I will tellyou that in their SEC filings Interplay has disclosed that they're outthere trying to raise money today, or at least in their last quarterlyreport, they're trying to raise money based on exploiting the brand andthe IP that they have. So Interplay is out there using the Falloutmark, trying to raise money, and that impacts my client directly.

They don't have the rights to do that, Judge. They're underfunded. They're using a company out there that has no experience inlunch MMOs, that everybody knows hasn't ever done anythingsuccessfully. They've never launched a game in their career atMasthead. So that's impacting the Fallout brand, which we have investedan awful lot of money in, Your Honor.

It's a very value brand for us, and to the extent thatthere's dilution of that, that's not something that is easilyquantified. As you know, trademark, you know, in good will, verychallenging to quantify. So the longer that it goes, on the moredilution, or the more weakness, the more discussions online, the harderit is for our client. So that's why we think we're entitled toinjunctive relief. We bargained for it. They agreed that we shall beentitled to equitable relief in the agreements. They haven't met theconditions. I think it's pretty clear, Judge.

So, you know, our burden here is to make a clear showing,Judge, of a number of things. One, that we're likely to succeed on themerits, two that we're likely to suffer irreparable harm, and I thinkthat's satisfied both by the facts of the case and the presumption atlaw for trademark infringement being irreparable harm. The balance ofthe equity --

THE COURT: Here's where their Motion on theSubject Matter Jurisdiction helps you, I hope, to focus also. You'retalking about a presumption of harm on a trademark. On the trademarklicense agreement issue, that's a closer call on whether it's just abreach of contract or something else. So, you talk to me aboutpresumption. I am not, I don't, I'm remaining silent because I don'twant you to think that I accept the proposition that even if you showlikelihood of success on the TLA issue in terms of breach of thatagreement, that it necessarily implicates irreparable harm.

MR. MARBURY: Understood, Your Honor.Understood. We think the balance of the equities tip in our favorclearly, and that the public has a strong interest in not justprotecting valid trademarks and other IP rights, and not just enforcingthe agreements that we entered into at arms length, but also to preventcustomer confusion in the marketplace. So that's what we intend to showhere today, Your Honor, and we appreciate your time and attention.

THE COURT: Okay. Mr. Gersh, you can make a brief opening, I guess, and help set the scene for what I'm about to listen to.

MR. GERSH: Thank you, very much, YourHonor. Your Honor, I would like to address one point that you raised atthe end which I think is very crucial to this entire issue, and that isbriefly you raised the subject matter jurisdiction.

THE COURT: Um hum.

MR. GERSH
: And the irreparable harm comingout of the contract and the presumption. I still believe, as we said inour papers, that overriding, the first thing that you have to decide ishas there been a breach of contract, and I still think that it's asubject matter jurisdiction. I'd still ask the Court to consider it,even though you're not going to do it this morning, because I believethat the cart has been put before the horse here.

Until you decide whether there's been a breach of contract,which is more a state law issue in the cases that we raised, you can'tget to whether there has been trademark infringement. The Maryland casewe cited I think is right on point. The Illinois case is even clearer.That's all I'd like to say.

THE COURT: I did read them over. Theproblem I have with your assertion is the counts four and five of thecomplaint. As I understand the law now, if on the face of a complaintit clearly invokes the federal statute and rights available underfederal statute, that that's enough. Because if what you're asking meto do is in essence to go determine the merits of an underlyingdispute, then the subject matter jurisdiction merges too much into themerits, and we're not going to decide it on a threshold basis.

I have to look at the well pleaded complaint, and I havehere counts four and five, never mind what one and two and three evenwould be, or even later. Well, the common law one is Delaware law, noteven federal. But that's why I'm fairly satisfied at this point, frommy look at it last night, that they have done what they needed to do toinvoke the subject matter jurisdiction at this juncture. But, again, Iwill look at it more carefully. You have certainly educated me to lookat that in a lot of ways, but you had to find, you had to go long andhard to find another case after Gibraltar that you think is even close,because I think when you fairly look at the face of a complaint, thisone does have those two counts. Okay.

MR. GERSH: Just for clarification, and I doagree with Your Honor. In fact, I wish we had brought this to YourHonor's attention earlier. We just found it. I've been doing this for30 years and don't consider this little nuance between the breach ofcontract, and we did come across the cases just yesterday, which is whywe pointed out, and it is quite a nuance.

And I think that when you look at Gibraltar, the only thingthat Gibraltar talks about is that it does say they didn't pleadtrademark infringement.

THE COURT: It was an arbitration compelling.

MR. GERSH: Correct. They tried to bootstrapit basically, and under the Federal Arbitration Act. But in theIllinois case, they made it very, very clear that no matter what youcall it, if it is a breach of contract, and that is your thresholdissue, and these are contract claims, it is a breach of contract andthat state courts are just as well available to deal with the contractpart of the claim, and you cannot turn a breach of contract into atrademark infringement and invoke subject matter jurisdiction in afederal court.

THE COURT: Exactly. If all we were dealinghere with was the trademark license agreement dispute, that is whetheryou have the right to continue to try to develop the MMO, this would bea much tougher question. But as he said today, when we have the TrilogyThree and the -- I'm sorry, the Fallout Three or the Fallout Trilogy,where even if you have the right to go ahead and do something, if whatyou're doing is naming it in a way that causing confusion, I'm talking,that's trademark, not breach of contract.

Whether you submitted it or didn't submit it is really nottissue and that, I think, is where they get into federal subject matterjurisdiction without question, because that's not just breach ofcontract, that's something else.

MR. GERSH: And that's kind of where wediverge, and because you never get to the issue of trademarkinfringement unless you find there's been a breach of contract youdon't get there at all, because if we didn't breach the contract, asthey allege, then we did not, we cannot possibly have infringed becausewe had, our clients had the rights. So you never get there, and that isthe distinction that I think is very crucial to the consideration.

It's not that -- It's not that we have a competing trademarkcase where you have somebody that comes along and said "I like yourmark. I'm going to use it," and they copy it and steal it. That isn'tour case.
This situation is different. Interplay had the rights touse this, and the only basis that they bring a trademark infringementcase before Your Honor today is because they're contending we havebreached the agreement and therefore we're infringing the trademark,and that's the problem.

You have to determine the breach before you get toinfringement. If you find, if the Court finds there is in breach, younever get there. We didn't steal the mark. We didn't come along and useit differently. We used Fallout because we had the right to use Fallout.

THE COURT: You had the right to you Fallout. The question is do you have the right to use Fallout Trilogy.

MR. GERSH: And, if I might, that would be an issue of whether or not we breached the contract by not submitting it.

THE COURT: Whether that's a pre-existing product.

MR. GERSH: That's correct.

THE COURT: Which I understand, but all of thejudges and all of the writers indicate what we've got here is somethingthat is not easy to compartmentalize.

MR. GERSH: I appreciate that. Thank you.

THE COURT: I read it. I looked at it. We'regoing forward. At some point, if I have more of a concern I will,obviously you will be among the first to know.

MR. GERSH: Thank you, Your Honor. Your Honor, I think what I'll address is a couple of things that Mr. Marbury raised.

Interplay had the rights to use the mark, as I haveindicated. Interplay used the marks that it has been using in the past,in the same manner in which they had been using them. They had useFallout Trilogy previously. Mr. Marbury has indicated that Mr. Caentestified at his deposition Fallout Trilogy had been used in France.They were given a complete list of all of the companies that were usingour mark at the time of the closing.

Interplay has done nothing but to continue to usethat whichit had used previously, and they did not have to submit those forapproval. And, in fact, over a two year period did not submit any ofthe marks for approval.
The only issue, as Mr. Marbury seems toindicate now, is Fallout Trilogy. Not that we didn't have the right touse Fallout, Fallout Two or Fallout Tactics, but it's Trilogy. Sohere's what we have. We have Trilogy. Talks about a compilation ofthree games. It's clearly identified on the box, and it shows theproduct that's on there.

You asked the question, doesn't their determination have tobe reasonable, and I submit that it does. And it still has to bereasonable whether we've submitted it before or not, because Interplayhad been using it before and in fact believed and reasonably believedthat they had the right to continue to use the box art that has beenused in the past. They have done nothing different.

In most trademark infringement cases, Your Honor, somebodycomes along and they're trying to take the good will of anothercompany. In this particular case Interplay had the right to use thatwhich it had actually developed originally, sold and licensed backcertain rights. It didn't come along to steal anything.
Trilogy, asfar as I'm concerned, I think the evidence would be clear, doesn'trefer to a third version of a game like Fallout Three. You'll see fromthe documents we've submitted, the packaging is completely different.The packaging completely identifies the product within it, but mostimportantly, there is no confusion in the marketplace. Zero.

[/blockquote]
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2010-1-21 05:27:27 | 只看该作者
Part 2

[blockquote]MR. GERSH: Trilogy, as far as I'm concerned,I think the evidence would be clear, doesn't refer to a third versionof a game like Fallout Three. You'll see from the documents we'vesubmitted, the packaging is completely different. The packagingcompletely identifies the product within it, but most importantly,there is no confusion in the marketplace. Zero.

Yesterday duringthe deposition there was testimony by Mr. Leder, the COO of thecompany, that they had possibly two complaints to their customerservice office, talking about they needed a patch or a fix for a game.They have not one complaint in the millions of copies they should ofFallout Three, that one consumer was confused by Fallout Three andFallout Trilogy thinking they were the same. Not one. They have nosurvey. They have no evidence of any confusion. I don't even beliefwhen Your Honor looks at the two packaging that you could even saythere is a likelihood of confusion. It doesn't exist. They're clearlyidentified.

This is not the same as somebody actually takingFallout Three and using it. It's clearly marked. The font is the same.The lightening bolt and the O is the same, exactly what we've beenusing in the past, exactly what is continued to be used today by thePlaintiff. So I submit there is not any confusion. There is notlikelihood of confusion when it relates to that.

The other issuethat you have to deal with is whether or not they're likely to prevail.We have the balancing test that we deal with, et cetera, and I submitthat once all the evidence has been brought out to Your Honor, you'velooked at what's going on, you'll see, one, no confusion, two, nolikelihood of success, three, the balance of the hardships would tipstrongly in the favor of Interplay. They've been using this in thepast, and if the only thing that is the problem is the use of the word"Trilogy," then we should know that that's the problem and that can beaddressed by the Court and us, but there should not be an injunctionissued to stop Interplay from doing that which it had previously done.

Also,there will be testimony from Mr. Caen that when he licensed, when hesold the product and licensed it back there was an expected revenuestream for the company for years to come, and as a matter of fact, notonly that, Mr. Marbury indicated that we're trading on the good will ofthe Fallout brand. Well, that's exactly what we're going to do. That'sexactly what was intended by the agreement.

They licensedInterplay back the right to be able to sell the pre-existing games inperpetuity, no termination provision in the document whatsoever, andthere is a termination in the TLA, but there isn't a termination rightor provision in the APA or the asset purchase agreement.

Andthere's no question that the consequence of Interplay continuing tosell product, every time a Fallout game is released by Bethesda theconsequence will be that the earlier game increase in sales and thereis demand for them. Their own witness indicated that is a consequenceand that's going to happen. So when Mr. Marbury talks about trading onthe good will, yeah. That correct. We're going to.

We bargainedfor that, and they knew it and they know it. That's exactly what we'redoing. It's going to help the sales of Interplay's earlier game andInterplay is going to continue and should be allowed to continue tomarket its games world wide as it has in the past.

With respectto the MMO, we have some very threshold issues to get through before Ibelieve an injunction could even be considered to be granted in thiscase.

First of all, this game is not going to be released7 forat least two years, possibly three years, not even going to becompleted. Why we're here trying to enjoin something that's
9 under development is beyond me.

Secondly,Interplay has the absolute and unfettered right under that agreement tocontinue to develop this game, and if it is ultimately not approvedbecause of the quality or other reasons under the terms of theagreement or, for that matter, if ultimately at the time of trial YourHonor decides that there was some violation that should have stoppedInterplay, they have the right to change characters and scenes and dowhat is necessary to release that MMO.

So, how do we fashioneven an injunction when we're thinking about it, you can't say"Interplay, you cannot make a MMO. You can't make an MMO with Falloutcharacters." Then we're going to have an argument, does this characterlook like a Fallout character? Is it similar? Is it close? The languageof the agreement defines what can be done, and it's a little bit vagueand a little bit left for everybody to kind of decide as we go.

ButI don't think we can decide that until the game is done. Did we meetthe standard or not. There is a provision in there that says if thisagreement, I'm sorry, if the game is not approved we can take out theFallout characters to the extent any are in there. We can take out thescenes, and we can continue to make the MMO. They can't stop us frommaking an MMO, which is exactly what they're trying to do, so we havethat problem.

We have a bigger problem. The two conditions thatMr. Marbury has indicated, they're incapable of being enforced,absolutely incapable. They're vague. They're ambiguous. They'reillusory at best.

Let's start with the first one. We had tosecure $30 million in financing. What does that mean? I don't know. Whyisn't it defined in the agreement? The witness, Mr. Leder, the COO,didn't know. Why wasn't it made clear what it had to be? Didn't know.Did it have to be, did the money have to be in the bank? Absolutelynot, he said. Did they have to have a line of credit? Maybe. What doesit mean? How do we interpreter that?

By the way, Mr. Ledertestified yesterday that Interplay was fully permitted to use a thirdparty to help develop the game for them. Masthead. If Masthead is goingto spend $20, $25 million in its development, why isn't that adequate?I'm not sure. I think it is, but I don't know. I don't know whatsecured, secure financing means.

Everybody know it, Mr. Ledersaid. Everybody will know what it means. Well, but it didn't mean inthe bank. It didn't mean they had to have a specific line of credit. Italso doesn't mean, and there is nothing in the agreement that says theyhave to be able to use $30 million on day one.

This is a projectthat's going to take four to five years to develop. So securedfinancing over some period of time that they're going to be able tohave that amount of money. That might be reasonable. Is that whatInterplay is doing? I believe so.

Now we get to the next step.And remember, they have to have both, as Mr. Marbury said. You got tobe, commerce full scale development. Your Honor, what does full scaledevelopment mean? I don't know. Doesn't say it in the agreement. Nodefinition.

Mr. Leder said "Boy, it's a very complex situation.Hard to describe," and he listed a whole bunch of things yesterday forfull scale development. I said why is it in the agreement? I don'tknow. How does Interplay, how is Interplay supposed to know when fullscale development starts? I don't know.

This is an agreementdrafted primarily by DLA, who represented the Plaintiff in this case.They had five in-house business people review this agreement. They hadtheir in-house, at least one in-house lawyer and at last one lawyer atDLA review it.

That's seven people looking at this document. Andwe're left here today before you with this preliminary injunction withthe two most important provisions of that TLA undefined and unknown andwe have to guess.

Interplay has no way of determining whenit's in compliance. You have no way of determining when it's incompliance for purposes of this preliminary injunction. Maybe at trialit's different. Maybe if there is expert testimony that comes along atthe time of trial on what standard in the industry means, we get there.Maybe. But I don't think so because I don't think anybody can definefull scale development in the context of what they're doing or whatthey understood. It could only possible be what theses two parties meetin their minds.

And Mr. Leder couldn't even tell us, the COO,yesterday, what it meant and when it started. It's a complex situation.If you can't decide when that starts, the provision's illusory. Youcan't enforce this agreement.

If you can't determine what itmeans and, you know, clearly, unequivocally what it means to havesecured $30 million in financing and we've got to go speculate forsomething, that may be a trial issue. We're here on a preliminaryinjunction. It's got to be clear. It's going to go unambiguous. And Isubmit, Your Honor, you don't even need testimony if Your Honor looksat those two provisions and says "Wait a second. Is there anydefinition of these? Is there any way I can determine as the Court whatthese mean and when this was suppose to happen for Interplay?" And whenyour answer comes up "Nope. There's nothing in the agreement," weshould all go home. Thank you, Your Honor.

THE COURT: Mr. Marbury.

MR. MARBURY: Very briefly, Your Honor. I'd like to continue along the part here of discussing the MMO separately from the TLA.

I'mat a little bit of a loss of words on this issue, because to have acompany that's been active, a publicly traded company that's beenactive in the marketplace, raising money, putting out games, operatingfor year, decades, to say they don't know what secured financing meansis just hard to understand.

It's not unclear. What they'retrying now to do it's clear, is try to negotiate that two yearobligation into a five year obligation, or a six year obligation. WhatMr. Gersh failed to point out was that Interplay was also representedby counsel.

They negotiated the agreement too. They understoodwhat it meant when they went into it. There is no question what securedfinancing means. Everybody knows what that means.

The same canbe said about full scale development. The parties understood that, andMr. Gersh's characterization of the testimony I don't think iscompletely accurate from yesterday, but you'll hear it later and youcan determine that.

But the parties understood exactly what theywere getting into when they got into this agreement back in 2007. Thesuggestion that we don't have to deal with this until launch is justwrong. The contract says we're suppose to be dealing with it in twoyears. More to the point, the contract, in §3.4 very clearly explainswhat, in the event of a termination, Interplay can do, and it says veryclearly in §3.4 that they are not allowed to use our characters, ourenvironment, our story lines, our setting, our characters, ourcharacter classes.

The parties have already negotiated this. Youcan't just take out some of the characters. It's the world. Theirproject right now, it's been titled Project V13, and that's areference, we understand, to Vault 13, expressly something that'sexcluded from their rights going forward to use Vault.

So youunderstand the context, the idea here is that in the post-apocalypticworld people went underground into the vaults. The Fallout story startsin Vault 13. Those are things that they bargained away. So the ideathat five years down the road, or years down the road when these guyshave finished the game, they can simply flick a switch and suddenlyhave a non-violative game, it just doesn't make any sense.

Interms of customer confusion, we'll have testimony from Mr. Leder thatnot only were there some calls in to customer service, but there werealso, he had discussions with marketing people, I'll show you a picturefrom WalMart where the two things are on the shelf. A number of peoplecomplained that way.

More to the point, customer, actualcustomer confusion is one of, I believe, eight criteria that we need toshow. It's not even actual, it's likelihood of confusion. Of the eightcriteria, Your Honor, we nailed seven out of the eight. It's not arequirement for a finding of trademark infringement.

The othercriteria, Defendant's intention. Well, we understand their intention.They're intentionally doing this, so we have proven that.

Is itthe same mark? It's the identical. It's not E Fallout, or somevariation in a foreign language. It's the exact same mark. It's theexact same goods. It's the exact same sales channels. It's the exactsame advertising, sometimes on the same shelves.

So, to theextent that we haven't done a survey in the last month and brought inan expert witness who would not have been allowed because we werelimited to the affidavits that we had submitted along with our motion.It doesn't matter for the purposes of reaching a conclusion here.

And,finally, you know, to point out on the asset purchase agreement sideand to claim that the merchandising rights were perpetual is illogical.They argue that there is no termination provision in the asset purchaseagreement.

Well, Judge, it's an asset purchase agreement. It's atransfer. There's a closing. Having a termination provision, expresstermination provision, makes sense in the trademark license agreement.It doesn't make as much sense in an asset purchase agreement. But ifyou put that aside, the logic fails. The logic has to be, the word"perpetual" shows up no nowhere in that agreement, Judge. There is noperpetual language in there. This is just an interpretation. But thelogic, if you continue it to its extreme, is that they can breach thatcontract ten ways to Sunday, but they get to continue to sell, and thatjust can't be right. That can't be the law.

So, we think thatour case is a clear one. We agree that, you know, we need to look atthe contract documents and focus on what has been done and what has notbeen done by the parties. I think we can clearly establish what has notbeen done. They have not submitted these boxes for approval. They havenot gotten the $30 million and they haven't started full scaledevelopment. Thank you.

MR. GERSH: One point if I may, Your Honor.

MR.GERSH: I just want something to be very clear. Mr. Marbury said thatInterplay was represented by counsel in the negotiates. Not true.Didn't come out in his deposition. Mr. Caen represented the company,handled the transaction himself. Did not have counsel go over thedocument for him. This is seven people on one side, one person onanother. This is how the document came out.

On the issue of thetermination, which is the last thing I wanted to say under theagreement, all they had to do was make their language clear as to whatwas going to happen, and they didn't. Instead they created confusion.They created it in the TLA and they created it in the APA, and I don'tthink there is enough for the preliminary injunction to issue. Thankyou.

THE COURT: All right. We're ready to hear witnesses.

MR. MARBURY: That would be great.[/blockquote]
地板
 楼主| 发表于 2010-1-21 05:27:44 | 只看该作者
占楼
5#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-1-21 05:28:01 | 只看该作者
对了,本人不会提供翻译...
6#
发表于 2010-1-21 09:34:36 | 只看该作者
一头雾水
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|Archiver|13号避难所

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 15:37 , Processed in 0.068508 second(s), 13 queries .

快速评论 返回顶部 返回列表