打印 上一主题 下一主题

1220周末译书活动:存在与感知

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2008-12-20 12:55:55 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |正序浏览 |阅读模式
译书活动重开帷幕!

先来个雷人的

{1470}{37c WHAT WITH THIS REALITY, THEN?
by Jessered Palkanepolee, half-elven wanderer and scribe.
}

{1471}{37l  Can reality be said to be more than that which is perceived?  This comes down to the ancient question "If a tree falls in the forest, but there is no one around to hear it fall, will it make a sound?". This question is of course nonsense, for if we believe it will NOT make a sound because there is no one to perceive the sound, then the tree does not exist, because it itself is not perceived, and then it cannot fall in the forest, that doesn't exist either, because it is not perceived.
Nonsense too we say. Of course the forest is there. If we have been to the forest many times, we expect it to be there, if we should return, so of course the forest exists. If the forest exists, then the trees in it exist too. And since the trees exist, they can fall, and experience shows us that falling trees make sounds. We expect that which we have seen before.
So, we sentient beings expect that which our senses tell us is happening, to happen again, given the same circumstances. We have seen the sun rise in the east and set in the west each and every day of our lives. So naturally we expect the sun to rise in the east and set in the west again tomorrow. But can we actually say that it is so?
No, we cannot predict with 100 percent certainty that the sun will indeed rise in the east and set in the west each day. We can only predict that it is extremely likely that it will do so. Thus the reality around us is only the reality we perceive. We mages are able to alter our world around us, because we alter our perception of it. If we need a spoon to exist, so that we may take in our dinner, we will perceive a spoon, and it will be reality for us.}
{1472}{37l  Of course this is no easy task, because we have seen that there is no spoon, and experience show us that spoons do not simply materialize out of thin air. But should we forget this fact for now, and expect a spoon to materialize. Should we expect this with sufficient force, then it WILL materialize, because reality is only that which we perceive.
Was there a universe before sentient life? Did reality exist if there was no one to perceive it? According to my arguments here, no. This universe came into existence as soon as sentience perceived it. The Gods looked upon the universe, and it existed.
Now we exist too, and we too perceive the universe. I cannot believe in the death of magick. I cannot perceive a future without magick, and so I will never experience a future without magick. But the reality you perceive may be different from mine, and it is here, that the conflict lies.
There are troubles in the world today because of the many sentients inhabiting it, and because of all the differing beliefs.
Therefore take comfort if you feel reality itself is against you. Reality is never at odds with what anyone does. Another persons reality may be at odds with it, but your own reality will never be at odds with what you do, as it changes to fit your own perceptions.}
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|Archiver|13号避难所

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 22:32 , Processed in 0.055816 second(s), 14 queries .

快速评论 返回顶部 返回列表